These crispy classic ground beef tacos are filled with seasoned meat, lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes. An easy to make homemade taco seasoning that makes this very flavorful and juiciest. Perfect for loading up on soft or hard shell tacos and topping with all your choices! An easy dinner recipe that the whole family will enjoy, even your pickiest eaters!
The best meat to make the Classic Ground Beef Tacos?
The best meat to use for the taco meat is simple 70-80% lean ground beef. The extra fat will give it more flavor and we are able to drain the grease before serving.
What spices are in the Classic Ground Beef Tacos?
The spices that are used in this homemade taco seasoning are chili powder, cumin, coriander, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Ingredients for the Taco Meat recipe
The recipe is super simple and easy to follow. You can make this with a store-bought taco seasoning but we recommend homemade taco seasoning as it is super easy to make.
- Ground Beef: We have used here 80% lean ground beef, however, you can pick what will work best for you and your family. One pound of ground beef is enough for 3-4 people to enjoy a couple of tacos packed full with all your favorite toppings.
- Taco Seasoning: Chili powder, garlic powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika, minced garlic, minced ginger, salt, and black pepper. you can also add crushed red pepper as needed if you want to add more heat.
First of all, grab a large skillet and set it over medium-high heat. Drizzle with oil and add your onion. The sizes of the onion depend on you, I like to dice my onions super small. On the other hand, if you don’t want to add onion, skip this step.
- Cook the onion until soft and add minced jalapeno
- Add the ground beef and cook it for 5-7 minutes. Make sure you stir it and break it into small pieces.
- Remove the skillet and drain the extra fat or grease.
- Return the skillet back to medium heat and add the taco seasoning.
- Let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Add a little bit of water so the meat gets fully cooked.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
After the meat is fully cooked, it’s time to make that taco! You can use hard or soft shells for these tacos. I used hard shells.
Toppings for classic Ground Beef Tacos!
- Shredded Cheese
- Homemade Salsa
- Shredded lettuce
you can also use avocado, roasted corn, and sour cream.
How to Make the Salsa
Chopped tomato, chopped onion, chopped jalapeno, chopped cilantro, one tablespoon lemon, and salt. Combine all these ingredients and mix them well.